Ameren Corporation operates as a public utility holding company in the United States. It operates through four segments: Ameren Missouri, Ameren Illinois Electric Distribution, Ameren Illinois Natural Gas, and Ameren Transmission. The company is involved in the rate-regulated electric generation, transmission, and distribution activities; and rate-regulated natural gas transmission and distribution businesses. It primarily generates electricity through coal, nuclear, and natural gas, as well as renewable sources, such as hydroelectric, methane gas, and solar. The company serves residential, commercial, and industrial customers. It serves 2.4 million electric customers and approximately 900,000 natural gas customers. The company was founded in 1881 and is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.
Business Analysis of Ameren
The Utilities Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Ameren compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Ameren to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Ameren with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Ameren reported a revenue growth of -0.4% year-on-year during 2016. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities Industry grew at -0.4% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ameren spent 63.4% of its total revenues on COGS. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 63.9%
- R&D share of Revenues: Ameren R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: Ameren SG&A share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ameren spent 8.7% of its total revenues on Inventories. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 7.3%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ameren invested 13.2% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 11.4%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ameren invested 13.1% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 15.4%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ameren invested 331.0% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average PPE investment in the same period was 281.2%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ameren invested 6.8% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 23.2%
- Net Margins: Ameren Net Margins in the year 2016 were 10.7%. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Net Margins in the same period were 8.6%
Sector and Industry Association of Ameren
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
Ameren is associated with Utilities Sector and Gas, Water, & Multiutilities Industry.
Utilities sector is comprised of the following industries: Electric Utilities; Gas, Water, & Multiutlities. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Electric Utilities industry includes companies engaged in generation, transmission, and/or distribution of electric energy for sale.
- Gas, Water, & Multiutlities industry includes companies engaged in transmission and/or storage of natural gas for sale and those engaged in distributing water for sale for domestic, commercial, and industrial use. It also includes companies with significant presence in more than one utility.
Industry Ranking of Ameren
With $6.1 billion revenues, Ameren ranked number 10 of all the companies in the US Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry. There were a total of 47 public companies in the US Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.