AmerisourceBergen Corporation sources and distributes pharmaceutical products in the United States and internationally. Its Pharmaceutical Distribution segment distributes brand-name and generic pharmaceuticals, over-the-counter healthcare products, home healthcare supplies and equipment, outsourced compounded sterile preparations, and related services to various healthcare providers, including acute care hospitals and health systems, independent and chain retail pharmacies, mail order pharmacies, medical clinics, long-term care and other alternate site pharmacies, and other customers. It also provides pharmacy management, staffing, and other consulting services; supply management software to retail and institutional healthcare providers; and packaging solutions to various institutional and retail healthcare providers. In addition, this segment provides pharmaceutical distribution and other services primarily to physicians who specialize in various disease states, primarily oncology, as well as to other healthcare providers, including hospitals and dialysis clinics; distributes plasma and other blood products, injectable pharmaceuticals, vaccines, and other specialty products; and offers third party logistics and outcomes research, and other services for biotechnology and other pharmaceutical manufacturers. The company's Other segment provides commercialization support services, including reimbursement support programs, outcomes research, contract field staffing, patient assistance and co-pay assistance programs, adherence programs, risk mitigation services, and other market access programs to pharmaceutical and biotechnology manufacturers; specialty transportation and logistics services for the biopharmaceutical industry; and animal health care products. It markets its products and services through independent sales forces and marketing organizations. AmerisourceBergen Corporation was founded in 1985 and is headquartered in Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania.
Business Analysis of AmerisourceBergen
The Healthcare Services Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how AmerisourceBergen compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by AmerisourceBergen to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of AmerisourceBergen with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: AmerisourceBergen reported a revenue growth of 8.0% year-on-year during 2016. Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors Industry grew at 10.3% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen spent 97.1% of its total revenues on COGS. Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 88.6%
- R&D share of Revenues: AmerisourceBergen R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen spent 1.4% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 7.8%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen spent 7.3% of its total revenues on Inventories. Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 7.5%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen invested 16.3% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 12.5%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen invested 6.2% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 7.1%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen invested 1.0% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average PPE investment in the same period was 3.8%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, AmerisourceBergen invested 6.1% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 17.2%
- Net Margins: AmerisourceBergen Net Margins in the year 2016 were 1.0%. Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry average Net Margins in the same period were 2.1%
Sector and Industry Association of AmerisourceBergen
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
AmerisourceBergen is associated with Healthcare Sector Group, Healthcare Services Sector, and Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors Industry.
Healthcare Services sector is comprised of the following industries: Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors; Healthcare Payers; Healthcare Providers; Medical Software; Healthcare Research Services. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry includes nationwide drugstore chains, pharmacy benefit management (PBM) companies, and drug distributors. Drug stores also offer walk-in clinics and related pharmacy services. Distributors distribute branded and generic pharmaceutical and other healthcare products to hospitals, pharmacies and other healthcare providers. PBMs are primarily responsible for developing and maintaining the formulary, contracting with pharmacies, negotiating discounts and rebates with drug manufacturers, and processing and paying prescription drug claims.
- Healthcare Payers industry includes healthcare insurance companies that finance or reimburse the cost of health services. These companies also offer collaborative care, population health management, healthcare technology, Pharmacy Benefit Management, analytics, consulting and administrative services.
- Healthcare Providers industry consist primarily of hospitals but recent changes in the health services industry have contributed to both increasing numbers of other types of facility providers. Companies in this industry include traditional healthcare providers and emerging healthcare facility providers like ambulatory surgery centers, behavioral healthcare facilities, dialysis clinics, home health care companies and others.
- Medical Software industry includes companies that offer any software item or system used within a healthcare context. These companies offer standalone software used for diagnostic, therapeutic purposes, clinical financial and operational purposes.
- Healthcare Research Services industry includes companies that offer biopharmaceutical development services, commercial outsourcing services; commercial pharmaceutical sales and service organizations, consulting, health information analytics and technology consulting.
Industry Ranking of AmerisourceBergen
With $146.8 billion revenues, AmerisourceBergen ranked number 3 of all the companies in the US Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry. There were a total of 14 public companies in the US Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- McKesson ($190.9 billion)
- CVS Health ($177.5 billion)
- AmerisourceBergen ($146.8 billion)
- Cardinal Health ($121.5 billion)
- Walgreens Boots Alliance ($117.4 billion)
- Express Scripts Holding ($100.3 billion)
- Rite Aid ($30.7 billion)
- Henry Schein ($11.6 billion)
- Owens & Minor ($9.7 billion)
- Patterson Companies ($5.4 billion)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of AmerisourceBergenand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below