Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corporation provides management and technology consulting, engineering, analytics, digital, mission operations, and cyber solutions to governments, corporations, and not-for-profit organizations in the United States and internationally. The company offers consulting solutions for various domains, business strategies, human capital, and operations. It also provides analytics services, which focuses on delivering transformational solutions in the areas of decision analytics, including operations research and cost estimation; intelligence analysis, which include source analysis; and tradecraft, data science, and machine intelligence. In addition, the company designs, develops, and implements secure solutions and scalable systems, as well as offers software development services; and delivers technical solutions in the areas of command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance. Further, it provides cyber risk management solutions, such as prevention, detection, and cost effectiveness. Booz Allen Hamilton Holding Corporation was founded in 1914 and is headquartered in McLean, Virginia.
Business Analysis of Booz Allen Hamilton
The Industrial Support Services Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Booz Allen Hamilton compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Booz Allen Hamilton to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Booz Allen Hamilton with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Booz Allen Hamilton reported a revenue growth of 2.5% year-on-year during 2016. Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services Industry grew at 3.1% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Booz Allen Hamilton spent 75.7% of its total revenues on COGS. Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 71.2%
- R&D share of Revenues: Booz Allen Hamilton R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Booz Allen Hamilton spent 14.9% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 18.9%
- Inventory share of Revenues: Booz Allen Hamilton Inventory share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Booz Allen Hamilton invested 9.0% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 5.4%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Booz Allen Hamilton invested 16.5% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 20.0%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Booz Allen Hamilton invested 2.4% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average PPE investment in the same period was 3.6%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Booz Allen Hamilton invested 29.3% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 49.8%
- Net Margins: Booz Allen Hamilton Net Margins in the year 2016 were 5.4%. Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry average Net Margins in the same period were 4.4%
Sector and Industry Association of Booz Allen Hamilton
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
Booz Allen Hamilton is associated with Industrials Sector Group, Industrial Support Services Sector, and Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services Industry.
Industrial Support Services sector is comprised of the following industries: Business Services; Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services; Staffing & Outsourcing Services; Environmental Services. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Business Services industry includes providers of non financial services to a wide range of industrial enterprises and governments. This industry includes providers of uniform companies, Staffing and Outsourcing companies, office cleaning services, and companies that install, service and monitor alarm and security systems.
- Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry includes companies that offer management consulting services to both public and Governmental agencies.
- Staffing & Outsourcing Services industry includes companies providing contract, temporary, as well as permanent staff to clients with specific employment requirements. These companies also provide payroll and human resources outsourcing solutions for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Environmental Services industry includes companies that provide consulting and services for pollution reduction and control, recycling, waste-to-energy conversion, and hazardous waste management.
Industry Ranking of Booz Allen Hamilton
With $5.4 billion revenues, Booz Allen Hamilton ranked number 1 of all the companies in the US Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry. There were a total of 11 public companies in the US Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Consulting Services, Training and Professional Services industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- Booz Allen Hamilton ($5.4 billion)
- Engility Holdings ($2.1 billion)
- FTIConsulting ($1.8 billion)
- ICF International ($1.2 billion)
- Navigant Consulting ($1 billion)
- Huron Consulting Group ($798 million)
- Resources Connection ($598.5 million)
- CRAInternational ($324.8 million)
- Exponent ($315.1 million)
- Hackett Group ($288.6 million)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Booz Allen Hamiltonand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below