CDW Corporation provides information technology (IT) solutions to business, government, education, and healthcare organizations in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. It operates in two segments, Corporate and Public. The company offers discrete hardware and software products, as well as integrated IT solutions, including mobility, security, data center optimization, cloud computing, virtualization, and collaboration. Its hardware products comprise notebooks/mobile devices, network communications, enterprise and data storage, video monitors, printers, desktop computers, and servers; and software products include application suites, security, virtualization, operating systems, network management, and software as a service offerings. The company also provides warranties, managed services, and consulting design and implementation services. CDW Corporation was founded in 1984 and is based in Lincolnshire, Illinois.
Business Analysis of CDW
The Technology Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how CDW compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by CDW to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of CDW with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: CDW reported a revenue growth of 7.6% year-on-year during 2016. Other Industry grew at 0.0% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW spent 83.4% of its total revenues on COGS. Other industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 80.7%
- R&D share of Revenues: CDW R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW spent 10.8% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Other industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 10.3%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW spent 3.2% of its total revenues on Inventories. Other industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 10.4%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW invested 11.8% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Other industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 13.2%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW invested 17.2% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Other industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 15.6%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW invested 1.2% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Other industry average PPE investment in the same period was 13.4%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, CDW invested 25.1% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Other industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 22.4%
- Net Margins: CDW Net Margins in the year 2016 were 3.0%. Other industry average Net Margins in the same period were 4.6%
Sector and Industry Association of CDW
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
CDW is associated with Technology Sector and Technology-Other Industry.
Technology sector is comprised of the following industries: Computers Systems and Peripherals; Software; Semiconductor; IT Consulting and Outsourcing Services; Networking Equipment and Services; Internet; Other. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Computers Systems and Peripherals industry includes companies primarily engaged in manufacturing of personal computers, servers, mainframes, workstations, and other computer accessories and peripherals such as storage drives, mice, keyboards and printers. It also includes manufacturers of mobile phones and tablets.
- Software industry includes businesses providing software products such as operating systems, productivity suites, enterprise software, data and analysis software, advertising and marketing software, engineering and manufacturing software, networking software, and IT management software. It also includes companies providing industry-specific software focused on different sectors such as Financials, Automotive, Telecom, Utilities, Travel, Real Estate, Media, and Publishing.
- Semiconductor industry includes companies primarily engaged in manufacturing and distribution of semiconductor products such as microprocessors, chipsets, motherboards, flash memory, and wired and wireless connectivity products. It also includes companies that provide semiconductor equipment and services to the semiconductor industry.
- IT Consulting and Outsourcing Services industry includes companies primarily engaged in providing information technology consulting and outsourcing services to other businesses. The services include IT consulting, systems integration, application development and management, IT infrastructure management, and network operations management.
- Networking Equipment and Services industry includes companies primarily engaged in manufacturing and distribution of networking and communications equipment for transporting data, voice, and video traffic across intranets, extranets, and the Internet. The key products include routers and switches for local and wide-area networks, cable modems, teleconferencing equipment, and wireless access points.
- Internet industry includes Internet-based businesses providing products and services such as search engines, social networking, web hosting, email, domain name registration, and eCommerce. It also includes industry information/services portals focused on different sectors such as Financials, Automotive, Travel, Health, Real Estate, Media, and Publishing.
- Other industry includes companies providing products such as photocopiers, fax machines, point of sale machines, audio/video technologies, and video games. It also includes technology companies that are not part of other six technology industries.
Industry Ranking of CDW
With $14 billion revenues, CDW ranked number 7 of all the companies in the US Technology-Other industry. There were a total of 44 public companies in the US Technology-Other industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Technology-Other industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.