A severe injury can be traumatic and can have a lifetime impact. Aside from the pain, the victim also deals with medical costs, insurance companies, and other issues. All of these can be very frustrating when a victim is trying to focus on recovery.
“Most of the time, victims who sustain an injury due to the negligence of others would want to pursue compensation,” says Rich Godshall. “Handling a lawsuit without any legal assistance can be difficult. It is wise to hire is an experienced lawyer that focuses on the type of case you have.”
Types of Lawyers Available For an Injured Victim
When someone sustains an injury due to negligence from someone else, the next step is to seek legal assistance to get the necessary compensation. However, depending on the type of injury sustained, there are different lawyers for each injury case. Some of these lawyers include the following:
1. Personal Injury Lawyers
When someone is injured, the first lawyer that comes to mind is a personal injury lawyer. Personal injury lawyers assist persons who sustain an injury in car accidents, slip, fall accidents, and other accidents resulting from other’s negligence.
Personal injury cases can be difficult, stressful, and time-consuming. Furthermore, if the victim still suffers from the injuries, it may be physically hard to manage the lawsuit procedure alone. A seasoned personal injury lawyer can help the injured victim in this situation.
The aim of hiring a lawyer is for the victim to obtain compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering. However, hiring a competent personal injury lawyer can increase the chances of receiving the necessary settlement the victim deserves.
2. Workers Compensation Lawyers
Injuries to employees are common today, and some employees sustain these injuries due to the negligence of others. Furthermore, employees who suffer a work-related injury may be eligible for benefits such as workers’ compensation benefits.
Unfortunately, employers or insurance companies often deny compensation claims, even when they are genuine. As a result, many employees may give up, while others will fight for their rights.
However, hiring an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer gives these employees a higher chance of getting the necessary benefits. The lawyer will defend the victims in court, negotiate and win a favorable settlement on their behalf.
3. Car Accident Lawyers
A car accident lawyer can help victims prepare personal injury claims and demand compensation for the damages caused by other drivers. The victims here are those who sustain an injury in an accident due to the fault of another driver. A car accident lawyer can assist the victim in preparing their case and filing for compensation at the right time.
Furthermore, if the accident is minor, a car accident lawyer can still assist the victim. A lawyer can help defend against legal claims made by the opposing party to blame the victim for the accident and deny liability.
Sometimes, a person who is not at fault in a car accident may experience an increase in insurance rates. If this occurs, a car accident attorney can assist in negotiating with the insurance company to reduce the rates back to what they were before the accident.
4. Social Security Disability Lawyers
When someone sustains an injury and cannot work, the person may be eligible for social security disability benefits. A social security disability lawyer can guide the client through the application procedure and help them appeal if insurance companies deny their claim.
Another benefit that comes with hiring a social security disability lawyer is that they have the experience to handle the insurance companies. Insurance firms frequently try to belittle claimants or deny their claims. Thus, having an experienced lawyer can help make the situation fair for everyone and help victims get the compensation they deserve.
Things to Remember when Getting a Lawyer
If you need a lawyer, you should not hire just any lawyer. Many people often make the wrong choice when hiring a lawyer to represent them in court. To avoid this, they should consider the following factors when hiring a lawyer:
- Specialization: when hiring a lawyer, the first thing to consider is the area of specialization. Every lawyer has an area of specialization. For instance, you need a car accident lawyer for your car accident case. Similarly, if you are involved in a criminal case, you will want the assistance of a criminal defense lawyer. As a result, do not hire a lawyer who is conveniently accessible but is not an expert in the field of your case.
- Experience: considering lawyer experiences is also essential when hiring a lawyer, it is preferable to consult a lawyer with a high case win rate. Though these groups of lawyers may charge a bit more than the average lawyer, you may get the desired result and more hands-on guidance from them. In other words, do not choose a lawyer who is new to law practice. They should have at least three years of experience handling cases like yours to ensure that you get the best results possible.
- Communication: while hiring a lawyer, ensure you hire one that communicates well. When you have questions or concerns and you need to contact your lawyer, they should be accessible for meetings if necessary. Many hearings and talks are likely to happen throughout your case. As a result, both parties need to understand all aspects of the case; communication will make this achievable.
- Billing and Representations: there are senior and junior lawyers in every law firm. You should know what level of lawyers will be representing you when you hire a law firm and are given a designated attorney. If you are on a budget and do not care who defends you in court, you may get by with merely legal assistants. However, by spending a little extra, you can obtain the services of some of the most experienced lawyers in the same law firm. But, ensure you are aware of the costs involved with their services before engaging them to avoid finding hidden charges later, which may frustrate you. Thus, before hiring, you must ask questions concerning billing and representation.
Suffering an injury due to the negligence of someone else can be frustrating. Victims in such situations have the right to file lawsuits to receive the compensation they deserve. While filing a case on their own is possible, hiring an experienced lawyer to represent their interests is better.