Edison International, through its subsidiaries, engages in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity in the United States. The company generates electricity through hydroelectric, diesel, natural gas, nuclear, and photovoltaic sources. It supplies electricity primarily to commercial, residential, industrial, agricultural, and other customers, as well as public authorities through transmission and distribution networks. The company's transmission facilities consist of lines ranging from 33 kV to 500 kV and substations; and distribution system comprises approximately 53,000 line miles of overhead lines, 38,000 line miles of underground lines, and approximately 800 distribution substations located in California. It serves approximately 5 million customers. Edison International was incorporated in 1987 and is based in Rosemead, California.
Business Analysis of Edison International
The Utilities Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Edison International compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Edison International to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Edison International with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Edison International reported a revenue growth of 3.0% year-on-year during 2016. Electric Utilities Industry grew at 0.2% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Edison International spent 62.3% of its total revenues on COGS. Electric Utilities industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 64.7%
- R&D share of Revenues: Edison International R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: Edison International SG&A share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Edison International spent 2.0% of its total revenues on Inventories. Electric Utilities industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 7.6%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Edison International invested 11.3% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Electric Utilities industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 11.9%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Edison International invested 9.1% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Electric Utilities industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 14.5%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Edison International invested 311.7% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Electric Utilities industry average PPE investment in the same period was 286.7%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: Edison International Intangibles share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Net Margins: Edison International Net Margins in the year 2016 were 12.1%. Electric Utilities industry average Net Margins in the same period were 3.3%
Sector and Industry Association of Edison International
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
Edison International is associated with Utilities Sector and Electric Utilities Industry.
Utilities sector is comprised of the following industries: Electric Utilities; Gas, Water, & Multiutlities. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Electric Utilities industry includes companies engaged in generation, transmission, and/or distribution of electric energy for sale.
- Gas, Water, & Multiutlities industry includes companies engaged in transmission and/or storage of natural gas for sale and those engaged in distributing water for sale for domestic, commercial, and industrial use. It also includes companies with significant presence in more than one utility.
Industry Ranking of Edison International
With $11.9 billion revenues, Edison International ranked number 7 of all the companies in the US Electric Utilities industry. There were a total of 33 public companies in the US Electric Utilities industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Electric Utilities industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Edison Internationaland its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below