J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides surface transportation and delivery services in the continental United States, Canada, and Mexico. It operates through four segments: Intermodal (JBI), Dedicated Contract Services (DCS), Integrated Capacity Solutions (ICS), and Truck (JBT). The JBI segment offers intermodal freight solutions, such as origin and destination pickup, and delivery services. It operates 84,594 pieces of company-owned trailing equipment; owns and maintains its chassis fleet comprising 73,746 units; and manages a fleet of 4,581 company-owned tractors, 695 independent contractor trucks, and 5,398 company drivers. The DCS segment designs, develops, and executes supply-chain solutions that support various transportation networks. As of December 31, 2016, it operated 6,976 company-owned trucks, 410 customer-owned trucks, and 15 independent contractor trucks, as well as 16,139 owned pieces of trailing equipment, and 6,549 customer-owned trailers. The ICS segment provides traditional freight brokerage and transportation logistics solutions; and flatbed, refrigerated, expedited, and less-than-truckload solutions, as well as various dry-van and intermodal solutions. It also offers single-source logistics management for customers that desire to outsource their transportation functions. This segment operates 42 remote sales offices or branches. The JBT segment provides full-load and dry-van freight services by utilizing tractors operating over roads and highways. As of December 31, 2016, it operated 1,376 company-owned tractors. The company also transports or arranges for the transportation of freight, including general merchandise, specialty consumer items, appliances, forest and paper products, food and beverages, building materials, soaps and cosmetics, automotive parts, agricultural products, electronics, and chemicals. J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc. was founded in 1961 and is headquartered in Lowell, Arkansas.
Business Analysis of J.B.Hunt Transport Services
The Transportation & Logistics Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how J.B.Hunt Transport Services compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by J.B.Hunt Transport Services to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of J.B.Hunt Transport Services with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: J.B.Hunt Transport Services reported a revenue growth of 5.9% year-on-year during 2016. Trucking Transportation & Logistics Industry grew at 0.6% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, J.B.Hunt Transport Services spent 58.3% of its total revenues on COGS. Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 54.0%
- R&D share of Revenues: J.B.Hunt Transport Services R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, J.B.Hunt Transport Services spent 24.0% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 29.7%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, J.B.Hunt Transport Services spent 0.3% of its total revenues on Inventories. Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 0.2%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, J.B.Hunt Transport Services invested 5.9% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 4.5%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, J.B.Hunt Transport Services invested 12.4% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 11.8%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, J.B.Hunt Transport Services invested 43.0% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average PPE investment in the same period was 39.5%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: J.B.Hunt Transport Services Intangibles share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Net Margins: J.B.Hunt Transport Services Net Margins in the year 2016 were 6.6%. Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry average Net Margins in the same period were 4.0%
Sector and Industry Association of J.B.Hunt Transport Services
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
J.B.Hunt Transport Services is associated with Industrials Sector Group, Transportation & Logistics Sector, and Trucking Transportation & Logistics Industry.
Transportation & Logistics sector is comprised of the following industries: Air Delivery & Freight Services; Railroad Transportation & Logistics; Shipping Transportation & Logistics; Trucking Transportation & Logistics. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Air Delivery & Freight Services industry includes companies providing Air transportation and logistics products and services to the Industrial sector. It also includes companies that manage airports. Courier and logistic services primarily involving air transportation are also part of this industry.
- Railroad Transportation & Logistics industry includes companies providing transportation and logistics products and services to the Industrial sector using railroads. It also includes companies that manage train depots.
- Shipping Transportation & Logistics industry includes companies providing shipping transportation and logistics products and services to the Industrial sector. It also includes companies that manage bridges & tunnels.
- Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry includes companies providing trucking transportation and logistics products and services to the Industrial sector. It also includes companies that manage roads, bridges, tunnels.
Industry Ranking of J.B.Hunt Transport Services
With $6.6 billion revenues, J.B.Hunt Transport Services ranked number 1 of all the companies in the US Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry. There were a total of 18 public companies in the US Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Trucking Transportation & Logistics industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- J.B.Hunt Transport Services ($6.6 billion)
- YRC Worldwide ($4.7 billion)
- Swift Transportation ($4 billion)
- Landstar System ($3.2 billion)
- Old Dominion Freight Line ($3 billion)
- ArcBest ($2.7 billion)
- Werner Enterprises ($2 billion)
- Echo Global Logistics ($1.7 billion)
- Saia ($1.2 billion)
- Knight Transportation ($1.1 billion)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of J.B.Hunt Transport Servicesand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below