Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. provides technical, professional, and construction services. It offers project services that include engineering, architectural, interiors, design, planning, and related services, as well as planning, scheduling, procurement, estimating, cost engineering, project accounting and delivery, safety, and other support services. The company also provides process, scientific, and systems consulting services, including performing pricing studies, market analyses, and financial projections in determining the feasibility of a project; performing gasoline reformulation modeling; analyzing and evaluating layout and mechanical designs for complex processing plants; analyzing automation and control systems; analyzing, designing, and executing bio containment strategies; developing and performing process protocols; and performing geological and metallurgical studies. In addition, it offers traditional field construction, modular construction consulting, and environmental remedial construction services. Further, the company provides operations and maintenance services that include managing subcontractors and other on-site personnel; and offering process plant maintenance, management and technical support, and program management services, as well as offers systems integration and communication, information technology, and data security solutions. It serves various industries and markets, such as oil and gas exploration, production, and refining; chemicals and polymers; aerospace, defense, and environmental programs; buildings; infrastructure and telecommunications; mining and minerals; pharmaceuticals and biotechnology; power; pulp and paper; technology and manufacturing; and food and consumer products, and others. The company provides its services through approximately 200 offices located in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Australia, Africa, and Asia. The company was founded in 1947 and is headquartered in Dallas, Texas.
Business Analysis of Jacobs Engineering Group
The Construction and Building Products Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Jacobs Engineering Group compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Jacobs Engineering Group to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Jacobs Engineering Group with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Jacobs Engineering Group reported a revenue growth of -9.5% year-on-year during 2016. Heavy Construction Industry grew at -5.7% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Jacobs Engineering Group spent 83.9% of its total revenues on COGS. Heavy Construction industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 81.6%
- R&D share of Revenues: Jacobs Engineering Group R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Jacobs Engineering Group spent 13.0% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Heavy Construction industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 9.5%
- Inventory share of Revenues: Jacobs Engineering Group Inventory share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Jacobs Engineering Group invested 4.8% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Heavy Construction industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 12.5%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Jacobs Engineering Group invested 19.3% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Heavy Construction industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 43.5%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Jacobs Engineering Group invested 2.9% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Heavy Construction industry average PPE investment in the same period was 19.0%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Jacobs Engineering Group invested 31.2% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Heavy Construction industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 22.1%
- Net Margins: Jacobs Engineering Group Net Margins in the year 2016 were 1.9%. Heavy Construction industry average Net Margins in the same period were 2.1%
Sector and Industry Association of Jacobs Engineering Group
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
Jacobs Engineering Group is associated with Industrials Sector Group, Construction and Building Products Sector, and Heavy Construction Industry.
Construction and Building Products sector is comprised of the following industries: Building Materials & Fixtures; Heavy Construction. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Building Materials & Fixtures industry includes producers of materials used in the construction and refurbishment of buildings and structures, including cement and other aggregates, wooden beams and frames, paint, glass, roofing and flooring materials other than carpets. Building Materials & Fixtures companies also offer bathroom and kitchen fixtures, plumbing supplies and central air-conditioning and heating equipment.
- Heavy Construction industry includes companies engaged in the construction of commercial buildings, infrastructure such as roads and bridges, residential apartment buildings, and providers of services to construction companies, such as architects, masons, plumbers and electrical contractors. Heavy Construction companies also offer construction equipment.
Industry Ranking of Jacobs Engineering Group
With $11 billion revenues, Jacobs Engineering Group ranked number 6 of all the companies in the US Heavy Construction industry. There were a total of 40 public companies in the US Heavy Construction industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Heavy Construction industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Jacobs Engineering Groupand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below