Cyber security refers to applying technologies, procedures, and methods to prevent cyber threats on your data, systems, and devices. It aims to reduce this risk and protect your programs from getting exploited. As a cyber security student, your computer needs are different as your studies are more specific than a regular student.
Most students think battery life and storage are the only two components they need to check while purchasing a laptop, but there are several other things you need to have in mind before buying a laptop, especially for a cyber security student because you will learn to code, have a various battery and space-consuming software which would need high processing power along with your personal materials.
You’ll also need a laptop for a variety of purposes like completing assignments and writing a thesis. Although, the need for a high-performance laptop could be significantly reduced here if you knew what Thesis Rush has to offer.
You should also keep in mind that, if you’re buying a laptop as a student, you are probably going to use it during your internships and placements too. During this process, the companies would be relying on you to protect their essential information. You as a cyber security expert would require laptops with top-tier hardware specifications in addition to highly efficient software.
Therefore, before jumping to which all laptops are the best, it is important to know what exactly is to consider before buying a laptop-
- Battery: Batteries are the fastest to run out of all laptop components which makes them as important as the storage. As a student, it is not guaranteed whether you will get to charge it always or not while traveling to and from the college. So, a good battery will last you hours.
- Performance: Cyber security would require a large amount of processing power to run all the professional tools, hence a good processor is a need for you. However, choosing the right one can be difficult; as a cyber security student, buying a laptop with an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor will work just fine for you.
- Storage: As mentioned earlier, you’ll need to multi-task quite often and this will be tough for you if you have a limited RAM capacity. More RAM will allow you to run more apps at the same time. Additionally, the storage must be at least 512 GB so that you’ll not face any hindrance while installing the required software and your personal files.
- Weight: As a student, you would be needing to carry your laptops with you to various places. Therefore, we would recommend taking the additional benefit by opting for a laptop that is lightweight and is compact in size.
- Operating System: Choosing the right operating system depends on your preference. The common one is Windows 10. Though we would recommend choosing a Linux system. However, the best option is to stick with the system with which you’re already familiar.
- Graphics: For a cyber security student, your laptop should have a distinct high graphics chip like NVIDIA GeForce GTX along with a strong GPU.
- Connectivity: You’ll be doing a lot of penetration testing as a cyber security student, which necessitates reliable connectivity. Therefore, we would advise you to inspect the Wi-Fi adapter of the laptop before purchasing.
So, now that you know the basic parameters to keep in mind, we have put together a list of the best laptops that will safeguard your data, have the power to use programs, and basically be fit for your cyber security usage.
1. Dell XPS 13
This is a masterfully designed laptop with stunning precision details and unrivaled performance.
- It has a good battery life
- It is compact in size
- High-end processor
- It comes with SSD storage
- Screen size is comparatively smaller than most laptops.
2. MSI GL62M 7REX
This amazing laptop has a good performance on both productivity and gaming aspects.
- High-performance Processor and GPU
- Great overall Design
- RGB keyboard
- Great cooling system
- It is comparatively heavier with lower battery life.
- Higher price
3. Lenovo IdeaPad Y700
This laptop is engineered to provide the best convenience and performance and has smarter AI features.
- It has high RAM and storage which are also upgradable.
- Battery life is comparatively on the lower side.
- Graphic quality is inferior to most of the other laptops.
4. Apple MacBook Air
Mac is powerfully designed with the complete package of everything you’ll need in a laptop.
- It has undoubtedly an astounding battery life
- High-Performance Processor and GPU
- Lightweight and compact in size
- If you are on a budget then you will find the MacBook expensive.
- Its operating system might be a hindrance to a cyber security student.
5. HP Envy 17t Touch
This sleek laptop will give you an experience like no other.
- It’s amazing for multi-tasking
- It has good quality performance and graphics.
- It has a touch screen
- It has a heavyweight as compared to other laptops
- It has a fragile design
- Weak battery life.
6. Asus ZenBook 14 Ultra-Slim Laptop
This elegant laptop is compact in size so that you can get the best possible usage.
- It has an excellent keyboard and trackpad
- Great battery backup
- Great performance
- Lightweight and compact in size
- It has a reflective display.
- RAM and ROM are not upgradable.
There is a huge variety of laptops present in the market and it can be tough to decide which one is fitting to your needs, so we would advise you to take some time looking through the market.
As buying a laptop is a huge investment so it is important you buy the one that will last a long time. We provided a list of the best-suited laptops for you and each one of them is worth the money and capable of running software free from any interruption.
We hope this was of some help to you and you find the perfect laptop for you for your journey as a cyber security student.