Las Vegas Sands Corp., together with its subsidiaries, develops, owns, and operates integrated resorts in Asia and the United States. It owns and operates The Venetian Macao Resort Hotel, Sands Cotai Central, The Parisian Macao, the Four Seasons Hotel Macao, Cotai Strip, the Plaza Casino, and the Sands Macao in Macao, the People's Republic of China; and iconic Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. The company also owns and operates The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino and The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino on the Las Vegas Strip; the Sands Expo and Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada; and the Sands Casino Resort Bethlehem in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Its integrated resorts include accommodations, gaming, entertainment and retail, convention and exhibition facilities, celebrity chef restaurants, and other amenities. Las Vegas Sands Corp. was founded in 1988 and is based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Business Analysis of Las Vegas Sands
The Travel & Leisure Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Las Vegas Sands compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Las Vegas Sands to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Las Vegas Sands with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Las Vegas Sands reported a revenue growth of -2.4% year-on-year during 2016. Casino Industry grew at 2.9% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands spent 51.2% of its total revenues on COGS. Casino industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 53.3%
- R&D share of Revenues: Las Vegas Sands R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands spent 13.5% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Casino industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 17.8%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands spent 0.4% of its total revenues on Inventories. Casino industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 0.8%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands invested 4.5% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Casino industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 4.9%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands invested 6.8% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Casino industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 4.8%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands invested 150.0% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Casino industry average PPE investment in the same period was 152.6%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Las Vegas Sands invested 0.9% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Casino industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 32.6%
- Net Margins: Las Vegas Sands Net Margins in the year 2016 were 14.6%. Casino industry average Net Margins in the same period were -0.7%
Sector and Industry Association of Las Vegas Sands
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
Las Vegas Sands is associated with Travel & Leisure Sector and Casino Industry.
Travel & Leisure sector is comprised of the following industries: Airline; Car Rental Services; Casino; Hotels and Resorts; Recreational Services. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Airline industry includes companies primarily engaged in providing passenger air transport.
- Car Rental Services industry includes companies engaged in providing car rental services.
- Casino industry includes providers of gambling and casino facilities.
- Hotels and Resorts industry includes operators of hotels, motels, lodges, resorts, spas and campgrounds.
- Recreational Services industry includes providers of leisure facilities and services, such as amusement and theme parks, fitness centers, cruise lines, movie theaters, racetracks, and sports teams.
Industry Ranking of Las Vegas Sands
With $11.4 billion revenues, Las Vegas Sands ranked number 1 of all the companies in the US Casino industry. There were a total of 17 public companies in the US Casino industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Casino industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- Las Vegas Sands ($11.4 billion)
- MGM Resorts ($10.2 billion)
- Wynn Resorts ($4.5 billion)
- Caesars Entertainment ($3.9 billion)
- Penn National Gaming ($3 billion)
- Pinnacle Entertainment ($2.4 billion)
- Boyd Gaming ($2.2 billion)
- Red Rock Resorts ($1.5 billion)
- Isle of Capri Casinos ($978.6 million)
- Eldorado Resorts ($892.9 million)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Las Vegas Sandsand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below