LifePoint Health, Inc., through its subsidiaries, owns and operates community hospitals, regional health systems, physician practices, outpatient centers, and post-acute facilities in the United States. Its hospitals offer a range of medical and surgical services, such as general surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics, emergency room care, radiology, oncology, diagnostic care, coronary care, rehabilitation, and pediatric services, as well as specialized services, including open-heart surgery, skilled nursing, psychiatric care, and neuro-surgery. The company's hospitals also provide various outpatient services comprising same-day surgery, laboratory, X-ray, respiratory therapy, imaging, sports medicine, and lithotripsy. In addition, it owns and operates schools of nursing and other allied health professions. As of December 31, 2016, the company operated 72 hospital campuses, including 9,424 licensed beds in 22 states. The company was formerly known as LifePoint Hospitals, Inc. and changed its name to LifePoint Health, Inc. in May 2015. LifePoint Health, Inc. was founded in 1997 and is based in Brentwood, Tennessee.
Business Analysis of LifePoint Health
The Healthcare Services Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how LifePoint Health compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by LifePoint Health to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of LifePoint Health with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: LifePoint Health reported a revenue growth of 22.0% year-on-year during 2016. Healthcare Providers Industry grew at 6.7% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health spent 16.8% of its total revenues on COGS. Healthcare Providers industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 26.8%
- R&D share of Revenues: LifePoint Health R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health spent 47.9% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Healthcare Providers industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 42.9%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health spent 2.4% of its total revenues on Inventories. Healthcare Providers industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 1.8%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health invested 4.1% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Healthcare Providers industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 5.3%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health invested 14.3% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Healthcare Providers industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 15.3%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health invested 48.2% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Healthcare Providers industry average PPE investment in the same period was 39.5%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, LifePoint Health invested 29.2% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Healthcare Providers industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 46.7%
- Net Margins: LifePoint Health Net Margins in the year 2016 were 1.9%. Healthcare Providers industry average Net Margins in the same period were 1.6%
Sector and Industry Association of LifePoint Health
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
LifePoint Health is associated with Healthcare Sector Group, Healthcare Services Sector, and Healthcare Providers Industry.
Healthcare Services sector is comprised of the following industries: Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors; Healthcare Payers; Healthcare Providers; Medical Software; Healthcare Research Services. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Drug Stores, PBM and Distributors industry includes nationwide drugstore chains, pharmacy benefit management (PBM) companies, and drug distributors. Drug stores also offer walk-in clinics and related pharmacy services. Distributors distribute branded and generic pharmaceutical and other healthcare products to hospitals, pharmacies and other healthcare providers. PBMs are primarily responsible for developing and maintaining the formulary, contracting with pharmacies, negotiating discounts and rebates with drug manufacturers, and processing and paying prescription drug claims.
- Healthcare Payers industry includes healthcare insurance companies that finance or reimburse the cost of health services. These companies also offer collaborative care, population health management, healthcare technology, Pharmacy Benefit Management, analytics, consulting and administrative services.
- Healthcare Providers industry consist primarily of hospitals but recent changes in the health services industry have contributed to both increasing numbers of other types of facility providers. Companies in this industry include traditional healthcare providers and emerging healthcare facility providers like ambulatory surgery centers, behavioral healthcare facilities, dialysis clinics, home health care companies and others.
- Medical Software industry includes companies that offer any software item or system used within a healthcare context. These companies offer standalone software used for diagnostic, therapeutic purposes, clinical financial and operational purposes.
- Healthcare Research Services industry includes companies that offer biopharmaceutical development services, commercial outsourcing services; commercial pharmaceutical sales and service organizations, consulting, health information analytics and technology consulting.
Industry Ranking of LifePoint Health
With $6.4 billion revenues, LifePoint Health ranked number 7 of all the companies in the US Healthcare Providers industry. There were a total of 35 public companies in the US Healthcare Providers industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Healthcare Providers industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- HCA Holdings ($41.5 billion)
- Tenet Healthcare ($19.6 billion)
- Community Health Systems ($18.4 billion)
- DaVita ($14.7 billion)
- Universal Health Services ($9.8 billion)
- Kindred Healthcare ($7.2 billion)
- LifePoint Health ($6.4 billion)
- Genesis HealthCare ($5.7 billion)
- Brookdale Senior Living ($5 billion)
- Select Medical ($4.3 billion)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of LifePoint Healthand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below