Photography is becoming more and more popular these days. If you do it as a hobby, you are unlikely to think about making money. However, it is possible to combine pleasant things with useful ones. Today we will tell you how you can make money with your photos.
By the way, if you want to improve your photography skills, visit Skylum’s blog. There are lots of tips from professionals there, such as how to remove someone from a photo, how to use filters, and lists of the best photo editors.
Submit to stock libraries
Collaboration with photo stocks is an excellent income, which will not require a lot of active actions from you. The principle is as follows: you take a photo, send it to a photo stock, and its owners license it and sell it to users. Despite the fact that the licensing fee may be quite small, it is extra money for you.
Join a tour company
Do you like to travel and take pictures? Great, because these two things complement each other perfectly. If you work for a travel company, you can visit different parts of the world and take amazing pictures.
It is worth keeping in mind that such work can be seasonal. Some times of the year there will be many people who want to be photographed on vacation, while at other times there will be no clients. Keep this in mind when you start planning.
Become a wedding photographer
Wedding photography is one way that can bring you a lot of money. Many couples are willing to pay well for photos that will remind them of the solemn event for a lifetime. However, be careful: it is worth thinking things through, as you will have a lot of competition.
Here are a few tips that you can follow to rise to the top of wedding photographers:
- Learn to communicate with people. The more comfortable the couple will be shooting, the more candid photos you can get.
- Learn how to photograph in low light conditions, as lighting leaves a lot to be desired at weddings.
- Figure out how to edit pictures. You may need different skills, from using filters to removing someone from a photo.
Reading tutorials is good, but if you can, find a mentor who does wedding photography. Looking at his work will help you understand the basics and nuances, and decide if it’s something you want to do.
Work for magazines
When you take good pictures, it’s good, but when they get published, it’s ten times better. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to become an employee of a good magazine. But we have good news: it’s still possible. Check out these tips to help you do it:
- Learn not only how to take pictures, but also how to write. This is very difficult because you will have to learn new skills. However, if you learn how to write well, you will be a leader on the candidate list.
- Work for free. That sounds strange because we tell you how to make money. But here’s a little secret: if you work for free for a little while, you can earn a reputation and get new acquaintances who will help you become an employee of a popular magazine. It will also give you the opportunity to make a portfolio.
- Be unique. We’re sure that everyone has an amazing story to tell with a photo.
If you choose a particular magazine, take the time to do a little research. You need to understand if your content meets its standards and what you can improve or change to get there.
Sell your work as fine art
If you decide to turn your photos into fine art, the first thing to do is to develop your own style. Only such pictures have become popular here. The goal is to produce work that people want to hang on their walls. Here are some tips to help you:
- Shoot objects with a consistent theme. It’s much easier to find clients that way.
- Don’t neglect marketing. Print flyers, make an author’s website, and order advertising on social networks.
- Think about the size of the print. Sure, most paintings are significant, but there’s always the risk that your work won’t sell. Then you’ll have to think about where to store it.
Remember that galleries and art exhibitions are the main places to show such paintings. It can be difficult to get access there, but it will be worth the effort.
Become a mentor
We’ve already said that many people take photography as a hobby. In order to learn, they need a mentor. Why don’t you become one?
You can hold online seminars or meet with students in person. If you’re a good writer, create a blog and give basic tips on it. If the audience wants more, offer the author materials for an additional fee.
We don’t just talk about photography techniques or shooting specific genres. For example, if you’re good with photo editing apps, sell that! Do step-by-step guides, give tips, and make money.
You can choose one or more of these ideas. Perhaps you have some of your own? Here’s an excuse to write your first professional article to help you make money.
We also think it’s imperative for a photographer to know all about post-processing. It can be an additional source of income. How to remove someone from a photo, use filters, and change the background?