Old Republic International Corporation, through its subsidiaries, engages in the insurance underwriting and related services business primarily in the United States and Canada. It operates through three segments: General Insurance Group, Title Insurance Group, and the Republic Financial Indemnity Group Run-off Business. The General Insurance Group segment offers automobile extended warranty, aviation, commercial automobile, commercial multi-peril, general liability, home warranty, inland marine, travel accident, and workers' compensation insurance products; and financial indemnity products for specialty coverages, including errors and omissions, directors and officers, fidelity, guaranteed asset protection, and surety. This segment provides its insurance products to businesses, government, and other institutions in transportation, commercial construction, healthcare, education, retail and wholesale trade, forest products, energy, general manufacturing, and financial services industries. The Title Insurance Group segment offers lenders' and owners' title insurance policies to real estate purchasers and investors based upon searches of the public records. This segment also provides escrow closing and construction disbursement services; and real estate information products, national default management services, and various other services pertaining to real estate transfers and loan transactions. The Republic Financial Indemnity Group Run-off Business segment offers private mortgage insurance coverage that protects mortgage lenders and investors from default related losses on residential mortgage loans made primarily to homebuyers. It is also involved in the consumer credit indemnity run-off business. Old Republic International Corporation was founded in 1887 and is based in Chicago, Illinois.
Business Analysis of Old Republic International
The Insurance Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Old Republic International compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Old Republic International to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Old Republic International with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Old Republic International reported a revenue growth of 2.3% year-on-year during 2016. Property & Casualty Insurance Industry grew at 6.6% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Old Republic International spent 39.8% of its total revenues on COGS. Property & Casualty Insurance industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 65.6%
- R&D share of Revenues: Old Republic International R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Old Republic International spent 47.7% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Property & Casualty Insurance industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 14.9%
- Inventory share of Revenues: Old Republic International Inventory share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: Old Republic International Accounts Payable share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Old Republic International invested 23.6% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Property & Casualty Insurance industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 33.0%
- PP&E share of Revenues: Old Republic International PP&E share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Intangibles share of Revenues: Old Republic International Intangibles share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Net Margins: Old Republic International Net Margins in the year 2016 were 7.9%. Property & Casualty Insurance industry average Net Margins in the same period were 8.2%
Sector and Industry Association of Old Republic International
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
Old Republic International is associated with Financials Sector Group, Insurance Sector, and Property & Casualty Insurance Industry.
Insurance sector is comprised of the following industries: Life Insurance; Property & Casualty Insurance; Surety & Title Insurance; Insurance Brokerage; Diversified Insurance. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Life Insurance industry includes companies engaged principally in life insurance.
- Property & Casualty Insurance industry includes companies engaged principally in accident, fire, automotive, marine, malpractice and other classes of non-life insurance.
- Surety & Title Insurance industry includes companies providing title & surety insurance.
- Insurance Brokerage industry includes insurance brokers and agencies.
- Diversified Insurance industry includes companies with life, health, property & casualty, and reinsurance interests, none of which predominates.
Industry Ranking of Old Republic International
With $5.9 billion revenues, Old Republic International ranked number 15 of all the companies in the US Property & Casualty Insurance industry. There were a total of 66 public companies in the US Property & Casualty Insurance industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Property & Casualty Insurance industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Old Republic Internationaland its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below