Omnicom Group Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides advertising, marketing, and corporate communications services. The company offers a range of services in the areas of advertising, customer relationship management, or CRM, public relations, and specialty communications. Its services comprise advertising, brand consultancy, content marketing, corporate social responsibility consulting, crisis communication, custom publishing, data analytics, database management, environmental design, financial/corporate business-to-business advertising, graphic arts/digital imaging, healthcare communications, and instore design services. The company's services also include direct, entertainment, experiential, and field, interactive, mobile, multi-cultural, non-profit, promotional, retail, search engine, social media, and sports and event marketing services; and investor relations, marketing research, media planning and buying, organizational communications, package design, product placement, public affairs, public relations, and reputation consulting services. It operates in North America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore, and other Asian countries. Omnicom Group Inc. was founded in 1944 and is based in New York, New York.
Business Analysis of Omnicom Group
The Media & Entertainment Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Omnicom Group compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Omnicom Group to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Omnicom Group with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Omnicom Group reported a revenue growth of 1.9% year-on-year during 2016. Media Agency Services Industry grew at 3.6% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: Omnicom Group COGS share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- R&D share of Revenues: Omnicom Group R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Omnicom Group spent 85.1% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Media Agency Services industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 55.9%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Omnicom Group spent 7.3% of its total revenues on Inventories. Media Agency Services industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 3.6%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Omnicom Group invested 68.0% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Media Agency Services industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 46.6%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Omnicom Group invested 48.7% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Media Agency Services industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 43.0%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Omnicom Group invested 4.4% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Media Agency Services industry average PPE investment in the same period was 13.4%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Omnicom Group invested 61.0% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Media Agency Services industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 67.1%
- Net Margins: Omnicom Group Net Margins in the year 2016 were 7.5%. Media Agency Services industry average Net Margins in the same period were 6.9%
Sector and Industry Association of Omnicom Group
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
Omnicom Group is associated with Media & Entertainment Sector and Media Agency Services Industry.
Media & Entertainment sector is comprised of the following industries: Broadcasting, Cable, and Filmed Entertainment; Media Agency Services; Publishing. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Broadcasting, Cable, and Filmed Entertainment industry includes companies that provide radio and television programming. It also includes companies that provide music and filmed entertainment.
- Media Agency Services industry includes companies that provide advertising, public relations and marketing services. It also includes billboard providers and telemarketers.
- Publishing industry includes newspapers, magazine, and book publishers.
Industry Ranking of Omnicom Group
With $15.4 billion revenues, Omnicom Group ranked number 1 of all the companies in the US Media Agency Services industry. There were a total of 13 public companies in the US Media Agency Services industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Media Agency Services industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- Omnicom Group ($15.4 billion)
- Interpublic Group Of Companies ($7.8 billion)
- Alliance Data Systems ($7.1 billion)
- Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings ($2.7 billion)
- Outfront Media ($1.5 billion)
- Lamar Advertising ($1.5 billion)
- MDC Partners ($1.4 billion)
- Innerworkings ($1.1 billion)
- National Cinemedia ($447.6 million)
- QuinStreet ($297.7 million)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Omnicom Groupand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below