Owens-Illinois, Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and sells glass containers to food and beverage manufacturers primarily in Europe, North America, Latin America, and the Asia Pacific. It produces glass containers for alcoholic beverages, including beer, flavored malt beverages, spirits, and wine. The company is also involved in the production of glass packaging for various food items, soft drinks, teas, juices, and pharmaceuticals. It offers glass containers in a range of sizes, shapes, and colors. The company sells its products directly to customers under annual or multi-year supply agreements, as well as through distributors. Owens-Illinois, Inc. was founded in 1903 and is headquartered in Perrysburg, Ohio.
Business Analysis of Owens-Illinois
The Industrial Goods & Services Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Owens-Illinois compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Owens-Illinois to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Owens-Illinois with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Owens-Illinois reported a revenue growth of 8.9% year-on-year during 2016. Containers & Packaging Industry grew at 2.9% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois spent 81.9% of its total revenues on COGS. Containers & Packaging industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 77.3%
- R&D share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois spent 1.0% of its total revenues on R&D. Containers & Packaging industry average R&D spending in the same period was 0.2%
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois spent 7.5% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Containers & Packaging industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 11.5%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois spent 14.7% of its total revenues on Inventories. Containers & Packaging industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 12.3%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois invested 22.6% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Containers & Packaging industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 13.1%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois invested 8.7% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Containers & Packaging industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 12.9%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois invested 43.0% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Containers & Packaging industry average PPE investment in the same period was 42.4%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Owens-Illinois invested 43.7% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Containers & Packaging industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 32.5%
- Net Margins: Owens-Illinois Net Margins in the year 2016 were 3.1%. Containers & Packaging industry average Net Margins in the same period were 3.4%
Sector and Industry Association of Owens-Illinois
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
Owens-Illinois is associated with Industrials Sector Group, Industrial Goods & Services Sector, and Containers & Packaging Industry.
Industrial Goods & Services sector is comprised of the following industries: Industrial Conglomerates; Industrial Machinery; Electrical Components & Equipment; Electronic Equipment & Parts; Containers & Packaging. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Industrial Conglomerates industry includes Industrial companies engaged in three or more classes of business within the Industrial industry that differ substantially from each other.
- Industrial Machinery industry includes designers, manufacturers, distributors and installers of industrial machinery and factory equipment, such as machine tools, lathes, presses and assembly line equipment. It also includes makers of pollution control equipment, castings, pressings, welded shapes, structural steelwork, compressors, pumps, bearings, elevators and escalators.
- Electrical Components & Equipment industry consists of manufacturers and distributors of electrical parts for finished products, such as printed circuit boards for radios, televisions and other consumer electronics. It also includes makers of cables, wires, ceramics, transistors, electric adapters, fuel cells and security cameras. Manufacturers of Electric motors and generators and mechanical motion control products are also part of this industry.
- Electronic Equipment & Parts industry includes companies offering Manufacturing and Design services for Engineered Components and Products used in different industries. Companies providing Laser-based manufacturing products are part of this industry.
- Containers & Packaging industry includes producers and distributors of cardboard, bags, boxes, cans, drums, bottles, jars and glass used for packaging. Specialty Packaging Products and Pressure-Sensitive Materials producers are also part of this industry.
Industry Ranking of Owens-Illinois
With $6.7 billion revenues, Owens-Illinois ranked number 7 of all the companies in the US Containers & Packaging industry. There were a total of 35 public companies in the US Containers & Packaging industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Containers & Packaging industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- International Paper ($21.1 billion)
- WestRock ($14.2 billion)
- Ball ($9.1 billion)
- Veritiv ($8.3 billion)
- Crown Holdings ($8.3 billion)
- Sealed Air ($6.8 billion)
- Owens-Illinois ($6.7 billion)
- Berry Plastics Group ($6.5 billion)
- Avery Dennison ($6.1 billion)
- Packaging Corporation Of America ($5.8 billion)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Owens-Illinoisand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below