Ryder System, Inc. provides transportation and supply chain management solutions to small businesses and large enterprises worldwide. The company operates through three segments: Fleet Management Solutions, Dedicated Transportation Solutions, and Supply Chain Solutions. It offers fleet management solutions, including vehicles, as well as maintenance services, supplies, and related equipment for operation of the vehicles; commercial vehicle rental services; contract maintenance services; and contract-related maintenance services for trucks, tractors, and trailers. The company also provides diesel fuel accessing services; offers fuel services, such as fuel planning, fuel tax reporting, centralized billing, fuel cards, and fuel monitoring services; and sells its used vehicles through its 59 retail sales centers and Usedtrucks.Ryder.com Website. In addition, it offers dedicated services comprising equipment, maintenance, and administrative services of a full service lease with drivers, as well as routing and scheduling, fleet sizing, safety, regulatory compliance, risk management, technology and communication systems support, and other technical support services. Further, the company provides distribution management services, such as managing the flow of goods from the receiving to the shipping function; coordinating warehousing and transportation for inbound and outbound material flows; handling import and export for international shipments; coordinating just-in-time replenishment of component parts to manufacturing and final assembly; and providing shipments to customer distribution centers or end customer delivery points, as well as other value added services. Additionally, it offers transport management services, such as shipment optimization, load scheduling, and delivery confirmation services through a series of technological and Web-based solutions; and knowledge-based professional services. The company was founded in 1933 and is headquartered in Miami, Florida.
Business Analysis of Ryder
The Travel & Leisure Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Ryder compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Ryder to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Ryder with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Ryder reported a revenue growth of 3.3% year-on-year during 2016. Car Rental Services Industry grew at 0.8% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder spent 77.9% of its total revenues on COGS. Car Rental Services industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 68.5%
- R&D share of Revenues: Ryder R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder spent 12.4% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Car Rental Services industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 11.7%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder spent 1.0% of its total revenues on Inventories. Car Rental Services industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 0.6%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder invested 6.6% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Car Rental Services industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 11.7%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder invested 12.3% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Car Rental Services industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 13.5%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder invested 131.0% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Car Rental Services industry average PPE investment in the same period was 135.5%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Ryder invested 6.4% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Car Rental Services industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 24.5%
- Net Margins: Ryder Net Margins in the year 2016 were 3.9%. Car Rental Services industry average Net Margins in the same period were 1.4%
Sector and Industry Association of Ryder
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
Ryder is associated with Travel & Leisure Sector and Car Rental Services Industry.
Travel & Leisure sector is comprised of the following industries: Airline; Car Rental Services; Casino; Hotels and Resorts; Recreational Services. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Airline industry includes companies primarily engaged in providing passenger air transport.
- Car Rental Services industry includes companies engaged in providing car rental services.
- Casino industry includes providers of gambling and casino facilities.
- Hotels and Resorts industry includes operators of hotels, motels, lodges, resorts, spas and campgrounds.
- Recreational Services industry includes providers of leisure facilities and services, such as amusement and theme parks, fitness centers, cruise lines, movie theaters, racetracks, and sports teams.
Industry Ranking of Ryder
With $6.8 billion revenues, Ryder ranked number 3 of all the companies in the US Car Rental Services industry. There were a total of 5 public companies in the US Car Rental Services industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top companies in the US Car Rental Services industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.