SunTrust Banks, Inc. operates as the holding company for SunTrust Bank that provides various financial services for consumers, businesses, corporations, and institutions in the United States. It operates through three segments: Consumer Banking and Private Wealth Management, Wholesale Banking, and Mortgage Banking. The Consumer Banking and Private Wealth Management segment provides deposits and payments; home equity and personal credit lines; auto, student, and other lending products; credit cards; discount/online and full-service brokerage products; and professional investment management and trust services, as well as family office solutions. The Wholesale Banking segment offers corporate and investment banking solutions, including advisory, capital raising, and financial risk management, as well as lease financing solutions; cash management services, auto dealer financing, and corporate insurance premium financing solutions; and construction, mini-perm, and permanent real estate financing, as well as tailored financing and equity investment solutions. This segment also provides treasury and payment solutions, such as operating various electronic and paper payment types, which comprise card, wire transfer, automated clearing house, check, and cash; and offers services clients to manage their accounts online. The Mortgage Banking segment offers residential mortgage products in the secondary market. The company provides its products and services through a network of traditional and in-store branches, automated teller machines, Internet, mobile, and telephone banking channels. As of December 31, 2016, it operated 1,367 full-service banking offices located in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. The company was founded in 1891 and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
Business Analysis of SunTrust Banks
The Banking Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how SunTrust Banks compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by SunTrust Banks to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of SunTrust Banks with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: SunTrust Banks reported a revenue growth of 3.7% year-on-year during 2016. Banking Industry grew at 1.5% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: SunTrust Banks COGS share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- R&D share of Revenues: SunTrust Banks R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, SunTrust Banks spent 56.3% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Banking industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 53.7%
- Inventory share of Revenues: SunTrust Banks Inventory share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: SunTrust Banks Accounts Payable share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: SunTrust Banks Accounts Receivable share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, SunTrust Banks invested 19.1% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Banking industry average PPE investment in the same period was 14.0%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, SunTrust Banks invested 98.0% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Banking industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 60.1%
- Net Margins: SunTrust Banks Net Margins in the year 2016 were 23.0%. Banking industry average Net Margins in the same period were 23.5%
Sector and Industry Association of SunTrust Banks
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries. For high-level analysis purposes, related/similar sectors are grouped into sector groups.
SunTrust Banks is associated with Financials Sector Group, Banking Sector, and Banking Industry.
Banking sector is comprised of a single industry: Banking. Its definition is as follows:
- Banking industry includes banks providing a broad range of financial services, including retail banking, loans and money transmissions.
Industry Ranking of SunTrust Banks
With $8.2 billion revenues, SunTrust Banks ranked number 8 of all the companies in the US Banking industry. There were a total of 179 public companies in the US Banking industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Banking industry by revenues during 2016 were:
- JPMorgan Chase ($95.7 billion)
- Wells Fargo ($84.5 billion)
- Bank of America ($83.7 billion)
- Citigroup ($69.9 billion)
- US Bancorp ($19.8 billion)
- PNC Financial Services Group ($15.2 billion)
- BB&T ($10.2 billion)
- SunTrust Banks ($8.2 billion)
- Fifth Third Bank ($6 billion)
- Regions Financial ($5.3 billion)
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of SunTrust Banksand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below