WEC Energy Group, Inc., through its subsidiaries, generates and distributes electric energy. The company operates through Wisconsin, Illinois, Other States, Electric Transmission, We Power, and Corporate and Other segments. It generates electricity from coal, natural gas, oil, hydroelectric, wind, and biomass. The company provides electric utility services to customers in the paper, food products, foundry, mining, printing, and retail industries, as well as to governmental and health services. It also provides retail natural gas distribution services in the state of Wisconsin, as well as transports customer-owned natural gas; and generates, distributes, and sells steam. The company serves approximately 1.6 million electric customers and 2.8 million natural gas customers. In addition, it invests in and develops real estate properties, including business parks and other commercial real estate projects primarily in southeastern Wisconsin. The company was formerly known as Wisconsin Energy Corporation and changed its name to WEC Energy Group, Inc. in June 2015. WEC Energy Group, Inc. was founded in 1981 and is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Business Analysis of WEC Energy Group
The Utilities Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how WEC Energy Group compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by WEC Energy Group to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of WEC Energy Group with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: WEC Energy Group reported a revenue growth of 26.1% year-on-year during 2016. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities Industry grew at -0.4% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, WEC Energy Group spent 67.3% of its total revenues on COGS. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 63.9%
- R&D share of Revenues: WEC Energy Group R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: WEC Energy Group SG&A share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, WEC Energy Group spent 7.9% of its total revenues on Inventories. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 7.3%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, WEC Energy Group invested 11.5% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 11.4%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, WEC Energy Group invested 16.6% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 15.4%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, WEC Energy Group invested 266.5% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average PPE investment in the same period was 281.2%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, WEC Energy Group invested 40.8% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 23.2%
- Net Margins: WEC Energy Group Net Margins in the year 2016 were 12.6%. Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry average Net Margins in the same period were 8.6%
Sector and Industry Association of WEC Energy Group
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
WEC Energy Group is associated with Utilities Sector and Gas, Water, & Multiutilities Industry.
Utilities sector is comprised of the following industries: Electric Utilities; Gas, Water, & Multiutlities. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Electric Utilities industry includes companies engaged in generation, transmission, and/or distribution of electric energy for sale.
- Gas, Water, & Multiutlities industry includes companies engaged in transmission and/or storage of natural gas for sale and those engaged in distributing water for sale for domestic, commercial, and industrial use. It also includes companies with significant presence in more than one utility.
Industry Ranking of WEC Energy Group
With $7.5 billion revenues, WEC Energy Group ranked number 8 of all the companies in the US Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry. There were a total of 47 public companies in the US Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Gas, Water, & Multiutilities industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of WEC Energy Groupand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below