Windstream Holdings, Inc. provides network communications and technology solutions in the United States. Its ILEC Consumer and Small Business segment offers consumer services, including high-speed Internet access; Internet security services; online backup services; basic local telephone services and long-distance services, as well as call waiting, caller identification, call forwarding, and other services; and video services, as well as owns and operates cable television franchises, and sells and leases equipment to support its consumer high-speed Internet and voice services. It also provides services for small business comprising high-speed Internet access, online backup solution, remote tech help services, Web and audio conferencing services, managed Web design services, Web and e-mail hosting services, and fax-to-e-mail services, as well as voice services. This segment serves approximately 1.5 million residential and small business customers. The company's Wholesale segment provides products and services to other communications services providers, such as special access services, which provide network access and transport services to end users; and fiber-to-tower connections to support backhaul services to wireless carriers. It also offers voice and data carrier services to other communications providers, as well as to larger-scale purchasers of network capacity. Its Enterprise segment provides integrated voice and data services, which deliver voice and broadband services over a single Internet connection; multi-site networking services; and other data services, including cloud computing and collocation, and managed services. The company's CLEC Consumer and Small Business segment offers integrated voice and data services, advanced data, and traditional voice and long-distance services, as well as online backup, remote IT, managed Web design, Web hosting, and e-mail services. Windstream Holdings, Inc. was incorporated in 2013 and is based in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Business Analysis of Windstream Holdings
The Telecommunications Sector is witnessing a major shakeup, new age business models in the industry are transforming both customers and businesses. Faced with this uncertainity, companies are investing resources to transform their business. An in-depth business analysis is a valuable resource to identify and articulate the need for a business model change. At R&P Research we believe, the starting point for a business analysis is Benchmarking. Business benchmarking can be done at various levels: 1) Industry Benchmarking 2) Peer Benchmarking 3) Disruptors Benchmarking. In this report, we share the snapshot of how Windstream Holdings compares against the industry on the major performance indicators. This analysis, along with peer group/disruptors benchmarking and revenue model understanding can help identify growth and cost optimization opportunities to maximize the value delivered by Windstream Holdings to its stakeholders. R&P Research Industry Intelligence Platform provides historical data for last 15 years with an easy to use benchmarking interface for an in-depth comparative business analysis.
Here is the performance snapshot of Windstream Holdings with an interactive chart.
- Revenue Growth: Windstream Holdings reported a revenue growth of -6.6% year-on-year during 2016. Telecom Services Industry grew at 8.6% in the same period
- COGS share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings spent 51.5% of its total revenues on COGS. Telecom Services industry average (COGS share of revenue) in the same period was 37.8%
- R&D share of Revenues: Windstream Holdings R&D share of Revenues details are not available because either company does not share the data or we do not have it
- SG&A share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings spent 14.8% of its total revenues on Sales, Marketing, and General Administration (SG&A). Telecom Services industry average SG&A spending in the same period was 26.6%
- Inventory share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings spent 1.4% of its total revenues on Inventories. Telecom Services industry average Inventory spending in the same period was 0.9%
- Accounts Payable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings invested 7.2% of its total revenues on Accounts Payable (A/P) Telecom Services industry average Accounts Payable investment in the same period was 15.9%
- Accounts Receivable share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings invested 11.5% of its total revenues on Accounts Receivable (A/R). Telecom Services industry average Accounts Receivable investment in the same period was 11.4%
- PP&E share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings invested 98.1% of its total revenues on Property, Plants, and Equipments (PP&E). Telecom Services industry average PPE investment in the same period was 79.2%
- Intangibles share of Revenues: As a percentage of revenue, Windstream Holdings invested 102.7% of its total revenues on Intangibles. Telecom Services industry average Intangibles investment in the same period was 116.1%
- Net Margins: Windstream Holdings Net Margins in the year 2016 were -7.1%. Telecom Services industry average Net Margins in the same period were 6.9%
Sector and Industry Association of Windstream Holdings
For the purpose of performance benchmarking of a company with a sector or industry average, R&P Research associates every company with one sector and one industry. An industry consists of companies with related/similar business models. A sector comprises of a group of related/similar industries.
Windstream Holdings is associated with Telecommunications Sector and Telecom Services Industry.
Telecommunications sector is comprised of the following industries: Telecom Services; Communication Equipment. The definitions for each of the industries is as follows:
- Telecom Services industry includes providers of fixed-line and mobile telephone services.
- Communication Equipment industry includes providers of communication equipment to the telecom service providers. It also includes companies that own, operate, and lease mobile site towers to multiple wireless services providers.
Industry Ranking of Windstream Holdings
With $5.4 billion revenues, Windstream Holdings ranked number 11 of all the companies in the US Telecom Services industry. There were a total of 36 public companies in the US Telecom Services industry that had revenues greater than $50 million during 2016.
The top-10 companies in the US Telecom Services industry by revenues during 2016 were:
Business Model Analysis (BMA) Framework
We use the following framework to assess the business model of a company. Business Model Analysis framework can be used by organizations to articulate growth strategies and identify cost optimization opportunities. Technology and consulting companies can use this framework to identify the value drivers and pain points of their targeted customers. Entrepreneurs can use this framework to understand the language of business and identify promising business opportunities. This framework can be used by any professional aspiring to take up a leadership role to better understand the businesses challenges, articulate growth strategy, and monitor the business improvement requirements for the organization.
- Conduct a holistic benchmarking; to identify and target additional sources of value
- Get in touch with us to learn more about Business Model Analysis Framework
- Get free data, charts, and analysis of Windstream Holdingsand its peers on select key performance indicators by clicking the reports provided below